Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reading Response: 3 Syntheses


Writing About Writing (p. 301-304)
“Shitty Fist Drafts” by Anne Lamott

 Synthesis:
This article is like all the others in the sense that the authors are writing about different aspects of writing to an audience of college readers. Lamott’s work is not similar to that of Greene, Kleine, Berger, Mcloud, or Elbow. She’s not really talking about general constructs, visual constructs, or even voice. Lamott is, however, talking about the inspired writer being a myth just as Allen did. Lamott told about how she has to write several drafts before her work is finished. Lamott’s article is also related to the Berkenkotter/Murray reading because all of them detail the writing process of a published writer. This article is also related to the Kantz article in a distant way. Kantz talks about using existing texts to create an original one, and in a way- Lamott encourages using all existing drafts (even the sketchy first draft) to create a polished original piece of work.

My Personal Thoughts:
This was almost my favorite article this far (excluding the Stephen King article that you will read about shortly). It was straight to the point, it was not wordy or hard to understand, and it truly related to the college reader. In high school I probably just would have giggled at the title, but as I read this article I just found myself connecting to Lamott and what she had to say. It was like a fellow student or a really cool teacher was explaining to me that writing isn’t flawless for anyone. It’s nice to know that everyone has shitty first drafts, not just me.



Writing About Writing (p. 305-307)
“What Writing Is” by Stephen King 
Synthesis:
I would say that Stephen King’s article was related to Greene’s article because King made his argument throughout the whole piece. Telepathy was the topic, magic of a sort, and King practiced what he was preached just like Greene did. In a way, King was also similar to Berger and McCloud- not by talking about the actual history and aspects of visual constructs, but by creating such imagery through his text. It was also obvious that King has a strong voice, one strong enough to create an image in the reader’s head and one that pierces prominently through his words. Thus, King is related to Elbow in a way as well. I’m not sensing too much connection with the articles by Kleine, Kantz, Berkenkotter/Murray, Allen, or Lamott- but that does not mean that the connection is not there for other readers.

My Personal Thoughts:
LOVED IT! This was by far, 100%, my favorite article from this class. Something about King just reaches me. Not only do I like the actual author, but also the article itself was revealing. When he started off with, “Telepathy, of course,” I thought it was a joke. But as I was reading, I realized that King had tricked me- and he had been using his rhetorical magic all along. I like imagery in writing a great deal, and to come across an essay like this in a class like this just brightened my experience. King’s voice is just the right one for a college reader like me.



Writing About Writing (p. 319-321)
“Becoming a Writer” by Junot Diaz 
Synthesis:
Diaz’s article was mostly related to the articles by Allen and Lamott. Allen’s article talked about the inspired writer myth, and what a real writer is. Diaz told his story about essentially having 5-7 years worth of writer’s block- and was already published. So, the relationship between these two articles is clear. Lamott talked about having a lousy first draft and that writing can take time. Diaz’s first attempt was obviously not clean cut. Thus, the two articles are also related. Diaz’s article could be related to the Berkenkotter/Murray reading (and the Allen reading for this matter) just in the sense that the each of them explains the writing process of a published writer. As for the other writers we have discussed, I don’t really sense an association with this article.

My Personal Thoughts:
After reading this article, I felt kind of sad for Diaz. Five to seven years of block is a long time, and almost having to give had to be a terrible experience for him. However, it was reassuring to read that he stuck it out, and he felt that he grew as a writer. I think Diaz could really reach out to students who want to give up with his story. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job pointing the King text to McCloud and Elbow.

    ReplyDelete